25 Years of Transformations of Higher Education Systems in Post-Soviet Countries
In 2015 we started a large interdisciplinary international project on higher education transformation and institutional diversity in 15 former soviet republics. By today this project gathered together more than 35 researchers from all over the world who presented the results at the key international conferences. The book is coming in 2018. We also prepared an interactive timeline on higher education reforms and a special issue in HERB informational journal to make the results of the project more intelligible.
Collaborative comparative study: 15 country cases and the synthesizing papers
Case studies: similar research on each higher education system using available national data
- examine institutional landscape of higher education system in 1990 and 2015;
- track the changes through framework of vertical and horizontal diversity;
- grasp key policy reforms and environmental changes that frame modern HE landscape.
Approach & data:
- (non-normative) universities classifications
- quantitative research: institutional level data on HEIs’ characteristics and performance (student body, research performance etc.) comes from national statistical agencies and universities
- qualitative research: interviews with universities’ management and policy-makers
Huisman, J., Smolentseva, A., & Froumin, I. (2018). 25 years of transformations of higher education systems in post-Soviet countries: reform and continuity. Palgrave Macmillan.
We developed the interactive timeline with the most significant events of higher education policy in post-Soviet countries on the basis of the book research. The timeline makes available to search the events by country, by dimension of change and by time period. The timeline is now at the draft stage, and we welcome all to review and contribute to further development of database.
See more here.
The work team:
Editors of the book
Professor of Higher education at Centre for Higher Education, Ghent University Editor of Higher Education Policy and SRHE Higher education book series Chair of EAIR, Annual Forum Danube University Krems.
Developers of the Timeline
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.